· Immediately contact journalist. Get background on the story, angle, other interviews, who they’re talking to, and their deadline.
· Create timeline and all details of the event.
· Find advocates willing to speak to the media. Create talking points and train the advocate on speaking to the media. Vet any statements/releases with attorney working with client.
· On background, go over the timeline of events with the journalist.
· Give media ambush guidelines such as always appear helpful and professional and have a standard response ready.